From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Can initrd and/or RAID be disabled at boot?
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 21:43:31
1 Duncan posted on Thu, 27 Jun 2013 18:53:08 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > But unfortunately, I've not actually tried the noinitrd kernel
4 > commandline option, so I can't VERIFY that it works here, with my now
5 > builtin initramfs. I'll have to reboot to try that, and will try to get
6 > back to you on that. (Note to self. Test the root=LABEL with
7 > initramfs-less boot too, while I'm at it.)
8
9 I couldn't get the noinitrd option to work here either, on builtin
10 initramfs.
11
12 Not too big a deal tho because as I think you (Mark, grandparent poster)
13 suggested, it's always possible to rebuild a new kernel without the
14 initramfs built-in. And if a kernel fails with its builtin for some
15 reason, there's still the previous kernels with their known working
16 builtins. So just as I can always boot a backup kernel when a new kernel
17 fails, I can always boot a backup kernel when the builtin initramfs fails.
18
19 Which of course means I didn't try the root=LABEL without an initramfs.
20
21 But one other option I DID try... rdinit= . This parameter is similar to
22 the init= parameter, but for the initr*. It is thus possible to, for
23 instance, do something like rdinit=/bin/bash (assuming that's the shell
24 available in your initr*), and get a direct initrd shell, instead of the
25 script that /bin/init usually is in the initr*. Then in that shell you
26 can do whatever manual thing you want, and possibly finish up with an
27 exec /bin/init or whatever, to run the normal rdinit script.
28
29 Of course another option would be to setup multiple scripts in the initr*,
30 each of which could be run as the rdinit replacement, but doing different
31 things. It would then obviously be possible to have one of those scripts
32 do something else entirely, whether that be mounting a different root, or
33 running a memory checker, or starting a game (either in the initr* itself
34 or mounting a different root to do it), or...
35
36 You could then set rdinit= in the kernel commandline to select the
37 replacement rdinit script you wanted.
42 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman