From: Gavin Seddon <gavin.m.seddon@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: 32bit session
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 12:11:36
1 Dear Duncan,
2 thanks. This appears a mission. I will have to reinst. Gentoo and
3 create a 32 partition. Can you recommend a url of howto proceed thence.
4 Gavin.
9 On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 11:57 +0000, Duncan wrote:
10 > Gavin Seddon <gavin.m.seddon@×××××××××××××.uk> posted
11 > 1153306577.4247.7.camel@××××××××××××.homenetwork, excerpted below, on
12 > Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:56:17 +0100:
13 >
14 > > Is it poss. to start a 32bit session so the whole desktop is 32bit?
15 >
16 > If you've installed a complete 32-bit chroot installation, with everything
17 > you want to run, on a different partition so you can select it with root=
18 > on the kernel command line, and if it has been configured sufficiently to
19 > boot independently (with the appropriate 32-bit kernel, modules, daemons,
20 > and /etc files such as fstab fully configured), yes.
21 >
22 > Basically, it's effectively a fully independent multi-boot system, where
23 > the one boot option happens to be an x86 32-bit Gentoo that's also
24 > configured as a 32-bit chroot to your 64-bit amd64 Gentoo. The multi-boot
25 > side of it could just as easily be MSWormOS or Fedora or Ubunto or FreeBSD
26 > or whatever, but then of course it wouldn't work as a 32-bit chroot of
27 > your Gentoo amd64 boot.
28 >
29 > There's also an experimental and still-broken 32-bit userland profile, I
30 > believe, which would be a 64-bit kernel with 32-bit everything else (don't
31 > know how the toolchain would work, as a cross-compile or as a 64-bit
32 > multilib, but all regular apps would be 32-bit anyway). However, I'd not
33 > suggest that except for the EXTREMELY adventurous, those already running
34 > ~arch and a whole host of masked packages, and thinking that's far too
35 > stable and troublefree for their liking, as it will easily make
36 > ~arch+masked look like a walk in the park.
39 > --
40 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
41 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
42 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
45 Dr Gavin Seddon
46 Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
47 University of Manchester
48 Oxford Road