From: "P.V.Anthony" <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: sort error
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:13:47
1 Duncan wrote:
2
3 > You're using an obsolete (and ambiguous) syntax. I discovered this by
4 > first reading the manpage, which didn't mention that syntax (but did
5 > mention the -k option, the newer syntax), but /did/ mention that for
6 > complete documentation refer to the info page coreutils "sort
7 > invocation", which I did. That confirmed what I has already suspected,
8 > that you were using an obsolete syntax, with an explanation of why it's
9 > obsolete (it's ambiguous, the other reading being how it interprets it
10 > now, as a filename) and instructions for getting the old behavior if
11 > still desired, tho it's now discouraged.
12 >
13 > So either check the manpage and use -k and an origin-1 sort key instead,
14 > or follow thru to the info page and read up on how to get it to interpret
15 > the obsolete origin-0 sort key you are trying to feed it.
16
17 I did try the man pages and the info pages but I did not understand
18 them. I will read them again.
19
20 Thank you for the advice.
21