From: Richard Lucking <lists@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Problems after upgrading to 4GB Ram
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 22:26:27
1 I'm mananged to solve most Gentoo problems myself in the past - but this is
2 really confusing me, so I'd appreciate any suggestions.
3
4 I've got a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 motherboard, which had 2GB of memory, and
5 worked perfectly. I upgraded to 4GB, and have spent the last 24 hours trying
6 to get everything to work again!
7
8 memtest86plus was running overnight, with no errors, so I assume the memory
9 is fine.
10
11 The system is very unstable now, and will lock up at random intervals -
12 during booting, starting firefox, random points compiling kernels, etc etc
13 etc.
14
15 I removed some memory, so I could compile a kernel with MMU options that I
16 thought might help, but to no avail.
17
18 Additionally, if I go into the BIOS and enable:
19 Advance Chipset Features -> MEM Remap (4G RAM Support)
20 The following appears at the end of dmesg:
21
22 skge eth0: enabling interface
23 skge 0000:02:0b.0: PCI error cmd=0x7 status=0x22b0
24 skge unable to clear error (so ignoring them)
25 skge eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex, flow control tx and rx
26
27 and there is no networking - although ifconfig reports the "correct"
28 details. With it disabled, networking works.
29
30 Any suggestions/pointers would be appreciated, as I feel like I've tried
31 everything!
32
33 Cheers
34 Richard