From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: paludis Was: glibc-2.6.1 cpu error
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 21:20:13
1 2007/10/20, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2 >
3 > Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
4 > d257c3560710200721v2aa321fak9a7bbf3b0eb3b145@××××××××××.com, excerpted
5 > below, on Sat, 20 Oct 2007 16:21:39 +0200:
6 >
7 > >> With mainline kernel suspend-to-disk working
8 > >
9 > > it doesn't work well with xpress200m chipset and tends to break the
10 > > system stability. or at least the last time i tried it (2.6.22). it
11 > > works for me the suspend to ram, but that consumes the battery and on
12 > > shutdown it releases everything stored into ram.
13 >
14 > I'd try with 2.6.23. They did do some major changes re hibernate
15 > with .23, which broke it until rc-7 or so. Maybe whatever they did fixed
16 > it for your system.
19 i still cannot compile madwifi on 2.6.23 and i don't know if ati 8.42 will
20 support it. the 8.40 does not so i'll wait a little before switching to
21 2.6.23.
24 > Well, you haven't mentioned what size swap you /are/ running, or what
25 > size memory, for that matter. I originally referenced 4 gig since that's
26 > what each of my four swap partitions are, but anything larger than the
27 > default half gig hibernate image_size is going to be dramatically
28 > better. If you have a single 1-gig swap partition, checking the exact
29 > size in KB (as found in /proc/swaps) and setting that in /sys/power/
30 > image_size will double it from the default, and that alone will be quite
31 > noticeable. A gig of swap is the normally recommended size for a half-
32 > gig of memory. If you happen to have a gig of memory and two gigs of
33 > swap, so much the better. (I honestly don't know if two gigs swap/
34 > suspend-image with only a half gig memory is worth it or not.) Beyond
35 > that, I'd not worry about unless you really do have the resources to
36 > spare.
39 i have 1gb ram and 3gb swap (never filled of more than 200mbs in runtime).
40 i'm actually considering removing swap because i don't use hibernate.
43 > The other thing is memory. While registered memory is expensive
44 > overkill, one of the reasons I do NOT recommend an Opteron now, it can be
45 > worth getting a mobo and memory that support ECC. ECC is arguably worth
46 > the extra money, while registered memory is not. Of course, it's up to
47 > you, and many don't wish to spend that money, but I've had enough memory
48 > issues to appreciate solid memory and the stability it brings, and ECC
49 > does bring a bit of additional assurance in that regard. I'm not
50 > positive that the AthlonX2s and X4s or whatever they call them support
51 > ECC now, but if they do, I'd certainly consider that. If they don't, the
52 > balance tips back toward Opterons a bit, but I still don't think the
53 > registered memory is worth it, and believe Opterons require it, so I'd
54 > still say AthlonX2 or quad-core, and if ECC isn't available, just buy
55 > good memory and possibly run it slightly underclocked, if you want that
56 > extra stability.
59 i was thinking of a gigabyte supersilent mb with support of ddr2 - 800 and
60 ddr3 1333 and support for all the athlons around and for some opterons and
61 fsb dual 1000mhz with hypertransport, of a 2gb ddr2 800 ocz kit, a gigabyte
62 supersilent ati hd2600pro 256ddr3 or 512ddr2 vram, 2 sata-2 250 or 300gbs
63 hds with at least 8mb cache in raid 1/lvm and some other minor modding
64 things like the dual fan system from thermaltake with 2 supersilent fans and
65 a silent case fan. my problem was the choice of the processor. i thought
66 that taking a mb like that i could be able to switch from a middle-high dual
67 to a quad without great problem and from ddr2 to ddr3. this should be able
68 to do the trick for at least two years (or more considering the expansion of
69 the proc and memory) and then pass to a simple desktop if the market start
70 to run a lot.
71
72 MHO, FWIW.
73 >
74 > --
75 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
76 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
77 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
78 >
79 > --
80 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
86 dott. ing. beso