From: David Klaftenegger <davidweb@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] New install of amd64 with raid
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:30:25
1 Paul Stear wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 Hi there,
4 > I'm new to this list (migrating from x86) and am going to use my old windows
5 > amd64 box for linux.
6 > The motherboard has sata raid via Promise PDC20378 raid controller. I have
7 > downloaded gentoo linux 2006.1 amd64 live cd for the installation. Having
8 > looked at the install docs I am a little unsure of how to proceed.
9 > Do I set up the sata raid in the bios?
10 while booting a menu can be called before any OS is loaded (iirc)
11 > Are the correct drivers on the install disc?
12 i think so...
13 if you really want to use it look for the "dmraid" boot option.
14 but in fact this silicon pseudo-raid-controller does not speed up
15 anything, all the IO is still done by the CPU, and linux is not able to
16 use the controller without the use of the device mapper (that is what
17 "dm" is short for) and some magic I never got around to do (don't
18 remember exactly, driver issues)
19 > Will this raid set boot ok?
20 I stopped trying to get it running after I found out software raid under
21 linux is much easier: you just need the sata-drivers for the controller,
22 the raid-drivers, and only if you intend to use LVM, the device-mapper,
23 so no aditional driver for the so-called raid-controller is needed.
24 Additionally you can use both raid-1 and raid-0 with different
25 partitions on the same two disks.
26 > Do I need to setup any linux software raid?
27 if you go the controller-raid way you only need the device mapper plus
28 whatever that one needs to access the raid.
29 >
30 > I just don't want to mess up the installation son any help will be gratefully
31 like Thomas Syndek wrote:
32 Have a look on this :
33 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml
34 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_on_Software_RAID