From: Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Tracking down dependencies - x11-proto/printproto x11-apps/xdpyinfo
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 06:51:15
1 I don't have a printer, and never expect to have one, so I try to
2 remove any print related packages,
3 and I'm currently targetting x11-proto/printproto.
4
5 This package is conditional on the "xprint" USE flag in
6 x11-base/xorg-server which is OFF in emerge --info.
7
8 I recenly installed 64 bit firefox (thought I'd give it another go,
9 not working so hot that that's another rant) which includes
10 www-client/mozilla-launcher which has a hard dependency on
11 x11-apps/xdpyinfo.
12
13 x11-apps/xdpyinfo has a hard dependency on x11-proto/printproto
14 despite the code being conditional on xprint via the config
15 HAVE_X11_EXTENSIONS_PRINT_H, which will always be
16 true since the ebuild pulls it in.
17
18 Now I think there is a bug in the x11-apps/xdpyinfo ebuild. I changed
19 xdpyinfo-1.0.1.ebuild
20 34c34
21 < xprint? ( x11-proto/printproto )"
22 ---
23 > x11-proto/printproto"
24 # ebuild xdpyinfo-1.0.1.ebuild digest
25
26 and tested it
27 # xdpyinfo > ~/tmp/xdpyinfo-before
28 # emerge -aC x11-proto/printproto
29 # emerge -a1 x11-apps/xdpyinfo
30 # xdpyinfo > ~/tmp/xdpyinfo-after
31 # diff ~/tmp/xdpyinfo-before ~/tmp/xdpyinfo-after
32 54d53
33 < print screen: no
34
35 The compile was clean, the baseline/regression test (rudimentary) worked well.
36
37 So my question is: is this enough to submit as a bug/feature request?
38 I ask because I've submitted quite a few bugs and gotten unpolite
40 looked like the dumb user I'm tring not to be.
41 --
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list