From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Can't Emerge Thunderbird-5.0/6.0
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 02:06:46
Homer Parker posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2011 14:07:57 -0500 as excerpted:

> That said, > I do use evolution for email.. After years of beating on salesdroids > that I wanted no HTML emails, and too many sending HTML only, I caved...
FWIW, I just switched to claws-mail (akonadified kmail2 not being my thing!). I've been /very/ happy with its "strip HTML" mode, which strips out all the tags and just shows the text. With a few white-listed exceptions, all HTML /mail/ ends up in the trash, but I use a different instance of it (by setting $HOME and $TMPDIR in a wrapper script so it doesn't conflict with my mail instance) with the feed-plugin for my RSS/ ATOM feeds, which of course are XML, and it strips all that junk out very nicely, leaving attachements as just that, attachments. So there's a very nice third way between having to read the raw HTML and actually parsing and displaying it, complete with potential vulnerabilities, etc, for those willing to use clients that enable this third way. =:^) (But I'm still using pan for news/nntp, including my list feeds thru gmane, and it simply gives me the ugly raw html, so it's not like I've lost track entirely of what it feels like.) -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman