From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] 32 or 64 for web server and mysql
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:54:57
1 P.V.Anthony wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I going to built a 1U server which will have the following.
5 >
6 > 1. Apache 2
7 > 2. Lighttpd
8 > 3. qmail
9 > 4. vpopmail
10 > 5. mysql
11 > 6. postgres
12 > 7. ruby
13 > 8. php
14 > 9. perl
15 > 10. tinydns
16 > 11. pureftpd
17 > 12. high availblity tools for fail over
18 >
19 > The question is which way to go 64bit or 32bit? Which more stable? Which
20 > is better?
21 >
22 > The reason for this questions is that there are some information on the
23 > net that says that there is no much difference between them.
24 > Is that true? Thought that 64bit is always better.
25 >
26 > Please share some opinions.
27 >
28 > P.V.Anthony
31 Okay, here goes. 64-bit has performance advantages. Primarily a 64-bit
32 data path. Now if the app running doesn't know how to handle that much
33 data (compiling for 64-bit doesn't always guarantee that it will play
34 nice) then you won't see much improvement.
35
36 Now, here's where my opinion comes in. I've found Gentoo's 64-bit to be
37 much better than, say, Fedora's 64-bit because I didn't compile much of
38 anything for a GUI of any type. (On my server that is.) I have no hard
39 numbers, but I can tell you it's pretty noticeable in performance with
40 identical apps (web apps like PHP/MySQL, etc) on it. Specifically for
41 me it was cacti.
42
43 That said, you really won't see a heck of a lot of difference except
44 under pretty heavy loads. Normal web traffic is limited more by network
45 bandwidth than by system resources, so unless you're gonna beat the crap
46 out of that server day and night, either might be fine.
51 Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!
54 Mark Haney
55 Sr. Systems Administrator
56 ERC Broadband
57 (828) 350-2415
58
59 Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
60 --
61 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list