From: Kyle Liddell <kyle@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Upgrading glibc and glib
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 22:44:03
1 On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 03:48:19PM -0400, Richard Freeman wrote:
2 > FYI - quickpkg is your friend in these kinds of situations. You can
3 > then back out pretty quickly. However, if you start merging packages
4 > left and right after a glibc upgrade be VERY careful about downgrading
5 > your glibc - that can very easily break things. If glibc is the only
6 > thing that you've upgraded I suspect a downgrade would go ok.
9 If you've got a few GB of disk free, you could always take the "nuke it from orbit" approach: tar up / before you do the upgrade. That's saved me many a time when I've done something stupid and ended up without a working copy of gcc/python/whatever, and didn't feel like playing games with portage to get back to work.