From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] KDE 4.1
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 13:39:28
1 On Dienstag, 5. August 2008, Mark Haney wrote:
2 > Okay, I've been watching and waiting for KDE 4.1 to hit portage, via an
3 > overlay or otherwise. I've seen new HOWTOs on getting it emerged, but
4 > after my fun with KDE4.0.5 I'm a little more cautious. So, has anyone
5 > used the directions on installing KDE4.1, do they work okay? Does it
6 > emerge okay? And most importantly, does it work?
7
8 layman -a kdesvn-portage
9 linking the files in Documentation to /etc/portage/package.keywords/ and
10 .unmask/
11
12 pmerge kde-meta-4.1.0
13
14 works great one ebuild or so from over 200 did not work (kfloppy which I don't
15 need anyway) --ignore-failures (with pkgcore) or keep-going (portage) are your
16 friends.
17
18 kde 4.1 works very well. There is a kwin crash on logout - but that is easy to
19 deal with - click away the info box and logout/shutdown proceeds.
20
21 There is only one annoying bug:
22 kmail/konqueror/kopete/kio_http/kio_pop3/kwallet aren't really quit if you
23 close their window and accumulate over time. The bug is already reported. It
24 does not hurt much - once in a while a killall is needed. Maybe a kde4.1 bug
25 or a glibc bug - I don't know.