From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: OFF-TOPIC but ... you will lough !!!
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:51:18
1 [OT]
2
3 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
4
5 > The worst part of it is that I believe that there are methods that will
6 > allow you to make a file with such an illegal name (the API is not
7 > consistent). Of course the file then becomes hard to use or delete ;-).
8
9 30 years ago I worked with a stream editor and paper tape. The editor
10 wouldn't read a line longer than 80 chars*, but it would happily output one.
11 I spent many happy hours with a unipunch blotting out characters until the
12 offending line was short enough. Paperless office? Yeah.
13
14 * I may have the wrong number here.
15
16 [/OT]