From: Jim Seymour <in2birds@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Lost ability to log in graphically
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:47:11
1 Hi,
2
3 About three weeks ago my kde desktop started to get distorted and slow reacting. I decided to go ahead and reboot the computer. That was the last time I have been logged in graphically. I have since removed KDE and the nvidia-drivers and am now just trying to get it working with the nv drivers and xdm/twm. I do get a log in screen, however upon trying to log in the screen goes blank and eventually comes back to the login screen. Since I seem to be the only one having this issue, I assume I missed an important entry in the elog. I have the modeline (no X at all without a xorg.conf) set to the parameters parsed by the video driver. I am using evdev for the keyboard and mouse (they work fine). I have googled and searched the mail archives to see if anyone else has had the same issue recently and how it was resolved. For the past three weeks I have come up empty. There are no EE entries in the Xorg.0.log at this point. I am running the stable version amd64
4 that is completely up to date package wise. The hardware does not seem to be the issue as a gentoo live dvd works perfectly. Any ideas on how I can get this working again? The only worthwhile errors I can find is in the xdm.log are below. This is with a clean xdm.log, reboot, login attempt and then killing X with ctrl_alt_bkspc.
5
6 XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
7       after 167 requests (167 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
8 (EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
9 xdm error (pid 5477): fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)
10 XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
11       after 167 requests (167 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
12 error setting MTRR (base = 0xb0000000, size = 0x10000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)
13 XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
14       after 167 requests (167 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
15 xdm error (pid 5496): fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable)
16 xdm error (pid 4814): Server crash rate too high: removing display :0
17 error setting MTRR (base = 0xb0000000, size = 0x10000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)
18
19 Thanks for any help,
20 Jim