From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Where is '@system'?
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 17:02:42
1 On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 6:31 PM, James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > To see bare system, do:
3 > USE="-*" emerge -pev @system
6 Actually, this is a very good way to explore the effect of certain
7 flags on the total package count. Thanks.
8
9 As a minimum set your command shows
10
11 USE="-*" emerge -pev @system -> Total: 86 packages
12
13 I've got a long list of flags in make.conf. With them all I get
14
15 emerge -epv @system -> Total: 242 packages
16
17 Three or four flags, enabled globally, cause most of the increase:
18
19 USE="-cups" emerge -epv @system -> Total: 178 packages
20
21 USE="-cups -java" emerge -epv @system -> Total: 139 packages
22
23 USE="-cups -java -X" emerge -epv @system -> Total: 131 packages
24
25 The other big one at the system level is -pam but I'm __very__ unsure
26 about removing that totally:
27
28 USE="-cups -java -X -pam" emerge -epv @system -> Total: 102 packages
29
30 Is it necessary to turn on pam features on every package on my system
31 that might use them?
32
33 Truly, for me it's not about package count but more about the time it
34 takes to build or update @system and whether this stuff is really
35 required. I figure pam is, I tend to think cups, java and possibly X
36 aren't needed at the system level. X is three packages directly and
37 then a few more that they seem to drag in
38
39 [ebuild R ] sys-apps/dbus-1.2.3-r1 USE="-X* -debug -doc (-selinux)" 0 kB
40 [ebuild R ] sys-apps/groff-1.20.1-r1 USE="-X* -examples"
41 LINGUAS="(-ja)" 0 kB
42 [ebuild R ] net-misc/openssh-5.2_p1-r3 USE="ldap pam tcpd -X*
43 -X509 -hpn -kerberos -libedit -pkcs11 (-selinux) -skey -smartcard
44 -static" 0 kB
45
46 I'm guessing X for openssh is a good idea if you want to do ssh -X -Y
47 etc. but why does one need X for groff or dbus? (Ah, 'user's vision'
48 of the mysteries of Gentoo use flags and what devs do with them...)
49 ;-)
50
51 I'm personally thinking I'm in better shape with cups and java not in
52 make.conf and then adding them to packages where I really think I want
53 them. In the end it likely ends up with more or less the same things
54 on the system but fewer of them in @system.
55
56 Thanks,
57 Mark
58
59 P.s. - thanks to all that answered. Trying to keeping the thread count
60 down by just answering back once.