From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] System died going from 2005.0 to 2005.1
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:29:51
1 On 10/8/05, scotthathcock@×××××××.net <scotthathcock@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > My system has developed serious problems related to the emul libs. The
4 > advice given as a reply to my bug has made the system impossible to
5 > upgrade using emerge. It is possible the problem dates back to the
6 > 2004.3->2005.0 upgrade, I don't know.
7 >
8 > Is there a way to build a "from scratch" 2005.1 system over the net
9 > without having to download and boot from a CD?
10
11 Not that I know of...
12
13 > Will it leave my user
14 > directories alone?
15
16 The install will not use partitions that you don't tell it to use. If
17 your /home directory is a separate partition then it should be safe as
18 you do not have to mount it. If the /home directory is part of some
19 other partition then you should be careful.
20
21 > The installation docs assume that you don't have a
22 > runnig gentoo system and start with a boot CD.
25 Right, but you can modify this a bit by not creating new partitions
26 for /home and jsut reusing what's there, again, if you made home a
27 separate parrtition.
28
29 If you have room then you might also create a new partition, if you
30 have space, and then copy /home/USERS to it for safe keeping.
31
32 Basically, do backups before you start with a new install.
33
34 Good luck,
35 Mark
38 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list