From: Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problems at reboot
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 03:27:48
1 the "password failed" events were pursuant to handbook section 8.c. ?
2 try:
3 login root
4 password whatever you were trying to enter and reenter when you saw
5 "password failed"
6 that failing try just hitting return key at password prompt
7 all failing boot cd, mount partitions at /mnt/gentoo /mnt/gentoo/boot
8 cd /mnt/gentoo
9 (section 6)
10 mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
11 chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
12 env-update
13 source /etc/profile
14 (section 8.c Code Listing 22: Setting the root password)
15 passwd
16 {enter a password when prompted, preferably about 8 characters including
17 letters, numbers, and punctuation so it does not complain about being too
18 easy}
19 {reenter password when prompted}
20 [if you get failed, type passwd again and retry]
21 If you want root to be able to log on through the serial console, add tts/0
22 to /etc/securetty:
23 Code Listing 23: Adding tts/0 to /etc/securetty
24 # echo "tts/0" >> /etc/securetty
30 ----- Original Message -----
31 From: "Peter Martin" <pjmartin@×××××.ca>
32 To: <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
33 Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2005 9:02 PM
34 Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problems at reboot
37 > Hi Drake
38 >
39 > Drake Donahue wrote:
40 >
41 >> pull the plug :-) or ctrl-alt-del or hold power button till it shuts
42 >> down or reset button -- no mercy
43 >> reset bios boot order while restarting to unkink the cd
44 >> probably a result of previous adventure
45 >
46 > I took your drastic advice. I got the CD out rather than touching the
47 > bios. It did some strange things early on in the boot but seems OK. It
48 > has come to;
49 > MyTV login:
50 > As I worked through the setup I tried to steer clear of setting up any
51 > network stuff as I want this system to stand alone until I've got a lot of
52 > other thing done. If I need any file from the net I bring them in on
53 > another system and then move them across, hopefully, by flash card.
54 > At one point, though, it did ask for a name for the local box, which I
55 > assigned 'MyTV', then I think it asked for a domain name which I assigned
56 > 'MartinNet'.
57 > It also asked for a password. I never got one that it was happy with and
58 > it eventually came back with 'password failed' so I thought I was safe.
59 > Now, of course, it wants a 'login' and a 'password' and I have no idea
60 > what to do?
61 > I assume I'll have to reboot from CD, but what to do then? I must be able
62 > to get to the file where these are stored and find out what it is looking
63 > for?
64 >
65 > Peter
69 > --