From: Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problems at reboot
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 03:27:48
the "password failed" events were pursuant to handbook section 8.c. ?
try:
login   root
password  whatever you were trying to enter and reenter when you saw
"password failed"
that failing try just hitting return key at password prompt
all failing boot cd, mount partitions at /mnt/gentoo /mnt/gentoo/boot
cd /mnt/gentoo
(section 6)
mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update
source /etc/profile
(section 8.c Code Listing 22: Setting the root password)
passwd
{enter a password when prompted,  preferably about 8 characters including
letters, numbers, and punctuation so it does not complain about being too
easy}
{reenter password when prompted}
[if you get failed, type passwd again and retry]
If you want root to be able to log on through the serial console, add tts/0
to /etc/securetty:
Code Listing 23: Adding tts/0 to /etc/securetty
# echo "tts/0" >> /etc/securetty