From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: firefox-bin crashing a few times every day
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:57:27
1 On Nov 13, 2007 9:30 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> posted
3 > 5bdc1c8b0711121635t5a1e02abx807e5be4bab7c45e@××××××××××.com, excerpted
4 > below, on Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:35:31 -0800:
5 >
6 > > OK, it seems that sometimes FLash is working on my system. It never
7 > > works on Yahoo but sometimes works on YouTube. I think it may fail on
8 > > YouTube after going to Yahoo, but not sure yet.
9 >
10 > Interesting. I'm running swfdec (freedomware flash, was in the Sunrise
11 > overlay, don't know if it still is or if it moved into the main tree by
12 > now) on 64-bit firefox here. Of course, it's not a full latest version
13 > implementation yet, but it does work on YouTube, which uses an older
14 > flash version, and I've been enjoying catching up on what everyone else
15 > has been raving about for awhile.
18 It seems to be in regular portage. I may try it out.
19
20 mark@lightning ~ $ eix swfdec
21 * media-libs/swfdec
22 Available versions: ~0.5.2 ~0.5.3 {ffmpeg gnome gstreamer mad oss}
23 Homepage: http://swfdec.freedesktop.org
26 * net-www/swfdec-mozilla
27 Available versions: ~0.5.2 ~0.5.3 {xulrunner}
28 Homepage: http://swfdec.freedesktop.org/
30 netscape style plugin for Macromedia Flash animations.
31
32 Found 2 matches.
33 mark@lightning ~ $
34
35 I'm still not having too much trouble with YouTube. I'm having a
36 number of problems on Yahoo:
37
38 a) Almost all videos that don't resize to a larger display window
39 automatically play but paint a gray box over the top. Audio is fine.
40
41 b) I often see stranded 'npviewer.bin' processes left over in top.
42
43 c) I sometimes see stranded mplayer processes left over in top.
44
45 d) Yahoo searches for different video types so I tried each one out at
46 least once. Varied results. I searched out the Daily Show and then
47 tried the first one for each type that I could actually find. I'm not
48 asking anyone to explain any of this. Just posting the link for anyone
49 who would like to see how consistent the results might be.
50
51 As you can see below my results are not so good. I will use the same
52 links on my wife's Gentoo 32-bit machine and see how she does with
53 this.
54
55 i) AVI - Works.
56
57 http://cschneid.com/movies/2004-05-31_Talampaya_Geneva/Original_Muppet_Show/Kermit_the_Frog_on_The_Daily_Show_divx.avi
58
59 ii) MPEG = Works, uses mplayerplug-in - small window
60
61 http://notlarrysabato.typepad.com/doh/files/daily_show_video.mpg
62
63 iii) Flash - resizes to larger window - doesn't play
64
65 http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1017234
66
67 iv) Real - Audio works, no video, uses mplayerplug-in
68
69 http://www.wilson-brothers.com/luke/multimedia/interviews/dailyshow01.rm
70
71 v) Quicktime - Video works, no audio - uses mplayerplugin
72
73 http://files.minut.ee/video/2005/The-Daily-Show-BushTalkingpointsIraq.mov
74
75 vi) Windows Media - this one worked, and worked inside Firefox.
76 Normally what I've seen is that WMV gets downloaded to my desktop and
77 I have to play them manually in Xine.
78
79 http://media.disloyal.org/Videos/476_ferrari_enzo_totaled.wmv
80
81 I'm going to be very busy for the rest of the week so it's likely I
82 won't get around to trying get Java working until the end of the week.
83 (Unless Beso or someone else reports back a more simple way of doing
84 it than the one proposed by Jeffery.)
85
86 Looking forward to hearing if this works better for others and how
87 these links do for you Duncan.
88
89 Thanks!
90