From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Clock skew
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:22:38
1 Tony Johnson wrote:
2
3 >On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:58, Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
6 >>On Tuesday 18 October 2005 23:14, Jonathan Resino wrote:
9 >>>I have an asus A8N-SLI premium board and cannot seem to get my clock
10 >>>to stop skewing, it gains an hour almost every hour. It has gotten to
11 >>>be quite irritating, and reading over the forums I'm not sure if there
12 >>>is a definite fix. Anyone have any suggestions?
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 Had this problem when I first got this laptop running FC4, it's a known
16 kernel bug and the only real way I know to make it go away is to use
17 no-timer-check in the kernel boot parameters.
18
19 >>Are you running a dual core CPU? If so I had this issue and it is due to
20 >>TSC sync. Emerge gentoo-sources-2.6.13-r4 and it has a patch that fixes
21 >>this issue.
25 >Hmmm.. I have the same issue, and this upgrade to 2.6.13-r4 did not appear to
26 >fix the problem. My clock still gains many seconds per minute. Of course, if
27 >I rebuild the same kernel without SMP it works like a charm.
28 >
29 >An additional problem is in my XP vmware... with SMP, the "keeyyyboooaaarrrd"
30 >is crazy, and any media files (.wmv, .ram, etc) run at x4 speed. Most
31 >annoying.
35 I noticed this as well, the only problem is, the issue seems to be with
36 XP. I have had nothing but trouble out of it when running on Dual Core
37 CPUs. Is the XP version you are using the 32bit? or 64bit? I bet it's
38 the former based on the (x4) in the post, as the 64bit version would
39 probably sound only twice as fast. Granted I'm only guessing.
40
41 >I have:
42 >AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
43 >2Gb Geil RAM
44 >
45 >Regards
46 >Tony Johnson
52 Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
53
54 Mark Haney
55 Systems Administrator
56 ERC Broadband