From: "Henry W. Peters" <hwpeters@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Can't connect to internet from Live DVD.
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 16:37:41
7 Back (again) at trying to install Gentoo with
8 new "stuff."
9
10 Now, I'm having problems with my "Ralink RT5390R 802.1 bgn Wi-Fi
11 Adapter" (in my new HP Pavillion 500, AMD64 desktop). Besides the
12 Gentoo LiveDVD (AMD64)... in which neither a wireless or ethernet
13 network is apparently detected by the DVD (udev?), I DID try "System rescue CD," no
14 internet connect there either.
17 In the spirit of seeing if I could boot up with UEFI (as you may
18 be aware, Windows 8 version of a bios) & an external USB 3
19 hard drive (yet some problems to be resolved; i.e., how to handle
20 dual os's in a workable manner), I also tried Ubuntu Studio live
21 DVD (all of this in "legacy" mode, though I did not actually
22 install), & it configured wireless for me, all I had to do was
23 enter my router key... then I also temporarily installed Debian
24 Wheezy & Mate... on the external hd, which wouldn't connect
25 with wireless, but would via
26 ethernet (the installation more or less worked; Gnome 3 does
27 apparently not like my AMD64 Radeon integrated graphics card ). Very puzzling.
30 Any suggestions welcome!
31
32 Henry
35 P.s., I think I read awhile ago, something about an RF kill
36 switch...? (not sure of the relevancy, but thought I might ask,
37 just in case...)

icon_confused.gif image/gif
icon_question.gif image/gif