From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problem with latest timezone update?
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:49:28
1 On Jan 16, 2008 5:09 AM, Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Drake Donahue wrote:
3 > >
4 > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Haney" <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
5 > > To: <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
6 > > Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 10:22 AM
7 > > Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Problem with latest timezone update?
10 > >> Okay, here's something I can't seem to figure out. My laptop time
11 > >> doesn't want to stay sync'd. I always run ntpd at boot time to keep
12 > >> it in sync, but now, when I boot without an ethernet cable hooked up,
13 > >> it's over 5 hours off. It didn't do this until I updated the timezone
14 > >> just after Christmas. /etc/conf.d/clock is set to my timezone
15 > >> (EST5EDT) and /etc/localtime is symlinked to the correct timezone.
16 > >>
17 > >> I thought maybe the BIOS clock was wrong, but it's not 5 hours off,
18 > >> maybe a minute or so. I tried setting the HWclock to system time and
19 > >> that didn't fix it. Any ideas on what else to try?
20 > >>
21 > > Could it be this simple? Quoting:
22 > >
23 > > # /etc/conf.d/clock
24 > >
25 > > # Set CLOCK to "UTC" if your system clock is set to UTC (also known as
26 > > # Greenwich Mean Time). If your clock is set to the local time, then #
27 > > set CLOCK to "local". Note that if you dual boot with Windows, then #
28 > > you should set it to "local".
29 > >
30 > > CLOCK="local"
33 > Yeah it could very well be. I didn't notice that before, but for some
34 > reason this file was changed. It's possible I did it and not realize
35 > it, but I was almost certain that I didn't update that file when I ran
36 > dispatch-conf. But then again, one of my other personalities might have
37 > done it. I'll have to ask around and see which one could have been the
38 > perp. Thanks for picking that up.
41 I'm having problems after an emerge -DuN system this morning. What's
42 the proper solution to this?
43
44 dragonfly ~ # date
45 Wed Jan 16 17:45:44 Local time zone must be set--see zic manual page 2008
46 dragonfly ~ #
47
48 My mythbackend server is Linux only. The clock line is currently set
49 to UTC. timezone is Los Angeles as it's always been. It's 9:45 as I
50 write this but the clock thinks it's 17:45. 8 hours ahead is GMT,
51 right?
52
53 The hardware clock seems to be on GMT:
54
55 dragonfly ~ # hwclock -r
56 Wed Jan 16 17:46:35 2008 -0.584758 seconds
57 dragonfly ~ #
58
59 It seems the localtime file is messed up?
60
61 dragonfly ~ # cat /usr/share/zoneinfo/localtime
62 TZif21Local time zone must be set--see zic manual pageTZif21Local time
63 zone must be set--see zic manual page
64 <Local time zone must be set--see zic manual page>0
65 dragonfly ~ #
66
67 Isn't that supposed to be a link to Los_Angeles in my case? Going to
68 check the latest install docs.
69
70 - Mark
71 --