From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Nvidia Update Problem
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 23:03:37
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 08:34:24 +0200
Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:

> > The above error means that the kernel module that is currently loaded is > the old one while the X driver is the new one. In other words, you only > tried to restart X instead of rebooting the machine or terminating X, > doing "modprobe -r nvidia" and then restarting X. > > Contrary to other posts, you do NOT need to rebuild your kernel. You > only need to load the new kernel module. > >
Yes, that is exactly what had happened. I have my own X start script that checks for an already loaded nvidia module and it does not load the new module if the old module is loaded. After emerging the new nvidia module, I had just shutdown X and then immediately restarted X which kept the old module (at least until the next reboot). Frank Peters