From: Spencer Ogden <spencer@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Nvidia blank screen
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 15:21:02
1 Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I wasn't able to find
2 any resent postings about similar problems.
3
4 I have a fresh install of 2006.0 amd64 on a Gigabyte , which includes
5 onboard Nvidia video, calling itself a GeForce 6150. I am running
6 stable, with the 2.6.15-gentoo-r5 kernel. The nvidia-kernel driver
7 compiles and loads fine, version 1.0.6629-r5.
8
9 This first problem was that loading the module does not create the
10 /dev/nvidia* nodes. Running /sbin/NVmakedevices.sh fixed this. Are there
11 missing udev rules? The load event shows up in udevmonitor.
12
13 That at least allowed X to try and load. Only now I get a blank screen,
14 which is totally unresponsive, even to Cntl-Alt-BS. Only a reset gets me
15 out of it (Can't kill X remotely). There are no mentions of problems in
16 the log.
17
18 I have tried some of the random fixes mentioned on line including:
19 Option "NoRenderExtension"
20 Option "NvAGP" "1" or "0"
21
22 But haven't made any progress. There have been many postings over the
23 years about blank screen on amd64 platforms, but none with recent
24 kernels and Nvidia driver versions.
25
26 Are these known problems? Should I try the unstable versions?
27
28 Thanks in advance,
29
30 Spencer