From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] AMD64 - Firefox, flash, java, mplayer and more....
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:50:16
1 On 12/7/05, Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 19:35 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 10:44:01 -0600 (CST)
4 > > "Brett Johnson" <brett@××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > Here is a good doc on how to set this up:
7 > > >
8 > > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/index.xml?part=1&chap=3
9 > >
10 > > A useful pointer - thanks. But it seems to assume that we use Athlon XP
11 > > processors (FLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -msse2 -pipe
12 > > -fomit-frame-pointer"). My box has Opterons, so I assume I should
13 > > substitute "-march=opteron", no?
14 > >
15 > > I've found explanations a bit thin on the ground as to what the C arch
16 > > flag and the chost definition do. It's generally true that an
17 > > explanation is far better than an instruction if you want to avoid
18 > > supplementary questions :-)
19 >
20 > Yes, use -march=opteron (or athlon64, or k8, or nocona, or any of the
21 > other currently equivalent march flags in gcc). These do not imply
22 > 64-bitness, that's determined by the compiler and the -m32/-m64 flags.
23 >
24 > Daniel
25
26 I guess there's also an assumption in this document of at least
27 average or above Gentoo background as it doesn't cover making new
28 partitions for the chrooted environment which is what I did. My root
29 partition wouldn't have had enough room to get this whole environment
30 built.
31
32 One small mistake in the document is the command uname -m does not
33 return what's shown in the document. That would require uname -a. (I
34 believe.)
35
36 I'm in the middle of the first emerge world step. All goes reasonably
37 well so far.
38
39 QUESTION: If X apps use sockets to cross the chroot boundry, then is
40 that what Alsa apps are going to do to gain access to the sound
41 hardware? It's not overly important to me but I'd think it difficult
42 to run a Jack application that requires real-time capabilities doing
43 this, but maybe I'd be surprised.
44
45 Cheers,
46 Mark