From: sean <tech.junk@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] kernel recompile?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:44:31
1 Daniel Iliev wrote:
2 > Sean wrote:
3 >> With the line the way it was ending, I thought that it was some sort
4 >> of error.
5 >> I do not recall seeing such a line in the past when I built the kernel
6 >> for my system, which is an amd64 SMP box.
7 >>
8 >> I used the min install CD and followed the Gentoo docs using the
9 >> manual install.
10 >>
11 >> Thanks for the help Daniel.
12 >> Sean
13 >>
14 >> P.S. Hard to believe this whole ride started just cause I wanted to
15 >> build Openoffice.
16 >
17 > Ah, that big bad OO2! ;-)))))
20 > Everything OK now?
23 Here is where things stand.
24
25 On boot, dmesg showed the modules did not load.
26
27 Here is my list from autoload.d.
28 s2io.ko
29 snd-mixer-oss.ko
30 snd-pcm-oss.ko
31 snd-seq-device.ko
32 snd-seq.ko
33 snd-page-alloc.ko
34 snd-pcm.ko
35 snd-timer.ko
36 snd.ko
37 snd-ac97-bus.ko
38 snd-ac97-codec.ko
39 snd-intel8x0.ko
40 soundcore.ko
41
42 Here is a list of load modules
43 sean@tardis ~ $ lsmod
44 Module Size Used by
45 snd_seq 50016 0
46 snd_pcm_oss 48160 0
47 snd_mixer_oss 16896 2 snd_pcm_oss
48 nvidia 5423892 12
49 snd_intel8x0 32552 1
50 snd_ac97_codec 99928 1 snd_intel8x0
51 snd_ac97_bus 4480 1 snd_ac97_codec
52 snd_pcm 80776 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
53 snd_timer 22152 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
54 snd 50600 7
55 snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
56 soundcore 10080 2 snd
57 snd_page_alloc 10640 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
58 sean@tardis ~ $
59
60 The only one that I do not see is s2io.
61 Not sure why they show on boot not being loaded, when they apparently
62 are springing to life.
63
64 X has started, and as it did the nvidia logo displayed. I never turned
65 it off in xorg.conf, and I am looking at my very nice WindowMaker
66 display and background. Link below is for the pic, if interested, nice
67 picture, my wife was amused.
68 http://www.danadelany.com/photos/general/dana-delany-yellow-car.jpg
69
70 * x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
71 Latest version available: 1.0.8776
72 Latest version installed: 1.0.8776
73 Size of files: 25,303 kB
74 Homepage: http://www.nvidia.com/
76 License: NVIDIA
77
78 The Allman Brothers live at the Filmore is playing from my recently
79 installed Audacious player, which took the place of the now removed XMMS.
80
81 Openoffice started up! It better after all these hoops I have jumped!
82
83 One eterm window is doing
84 emerge --update --deep --newuse world;revdep-rebuild;revdep-rebuild
85 Currently on package 15 of 88 as I write this email in Thunderbird.
86
87 tardis sean # uname -a
88 Linux tardis 2.6.16-gentoo-r9 #3 SMP Tue Oct 31 13:46:57 EST 2006 x86_64
89 AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 246 GNU/Linux
90
91 My dmesg display showing my recently compiled kernel based on gcc 4.1!
92
93 Linux version 2.6.16-gentoo-r9 (root@tardis) (gcc version 4.1.1 (Gentoo
94 4.1.1))
95 #3 SMP Tue Oct 31 13:46:57 EST 2006
96
97 What a ride just for Openoffice, but learned a bit, now if it just
98 sticks in my head! The hard part of it all.
99
100 So I guess I will delay that nice upgrade of my hard drive to that 10K
101 SATA. 8-(
102 I figured if things went so bad that I had to start over, then I would
103 at least upgrade the drive, been wanting to do that for a while.
104
105 So the only mystery is why the modules appear not to load on boot.
106
107 Daniel, and all others, thanks again, you made the difference.
108 Sean
109
110 P.S. now up to package 17
111 --