From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE Print-Preview / PDF/PS Konqueror Problems
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 07:42:44
1 Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net> posted
2 44ED0F39.40205@××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Wed, 23 Aug 2006
3 22:30:17 -0400:
4
5 > Richard Freeman wrote:
6 >> Any suggestions as to where I should start? I'll start digging away...
7 >
8 > Never mind. I deleted ~/.kde/share/config/kghostviewrc and my problems
9 > went away. That is one file I can do without (my address book on the
10 > other hand...).
11
12 One more bug zapped! =8^)
13
14 Every KDE upgrade, it seems something or other quits, here. I run
15 seriously customized, so resetting everything to the default and
16 recustomizing isn't a palatable option. I've become rather adept at
17 finding the issue rather fast, but I always make a backup of the dir
18 before the upgrade, just in case something goes horribly wrong and it
19 destroys the entire config rather than just refusing to work in one or two
20 areas.
21
22 With KDE, the problem file is usually in one of two subdirs under
23 ~/.kde/share, either apps or config. Knowing that and the application
24 with the problem, it's a pretty quick job to check one, and if there's
25 nothing for the app there, check the other. Under config, it's individual
26 files, under apps, its subdirs with a collection of files. Some have
27 their config split so part exists in either location. In any case, it's
28 usually a five-minute job to find the culprit, rename it, restart that
29 particular component of KDE, and verify. Some things, like my
30 kicker/panel config, are so complex I'll actually dive into the file and
31 troubleshoot down to the individual section and line, rather than
32 recustomize the entire app from scratch.
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
40 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list