From: "Thomas Rösner" <Thomas.Roesner@××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] real multilib support
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 09:09:07
1 Hi,
2
3 Kevin F. Quinn schrieb:
4 > On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:37:52 +0000
5 > Simon Cooper <thecoop@××××××.com> wrote:
8 >> Whats the status of real, proper, compiled multilib support? Is it
9 >> 'being worked on'?
12 > You might be interested in:
13 >
14 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~kanaka/auto-multilib/
15 >
16 > which doesn't need ABI dependencies - ABI dependencies and
17 > associated tracking could turn out to be a bit of a nightmare in
18 > practice. Kanaka explains some of the reasons why.
21 The doc there doesn't get me too excited, however. I don't want to drag
22 a 32bit userland around for /every/ ebuild that has multilib support.
23 Perhaps this is more useful if combined with useflag dependencies (which
24 are about to come in portage and are in paludis) - that way you'd never
25 bother to set one of the ABI useflags, but ebuilds could depend on 32bit
26 versions of libraries. Things like installing gtk+ themes for the 32bit
27 gtk libs, too, would be the only thing you'd have to specify manually
28 that way.
29
30 >> Whats the main things holding it back at the moment?
33 > My guess would be that there's no desperate need for it. The existing
34 > workarounds; i.e. chroots, emul packages etc work well enough for the
35 > amd64/x86 pair anyway.
38 They "sort of" work, yes. But currently Gentoo isn't using the amd64-x86
39 compatibility to it's full potential. You'd think it's easier for a
40 source based distro to do this, but right now changes to portage are
41 harder than they should be (I agree with ciaranm on this one without
42 even looking to hard at the portage code, the time features spend in the
43 queue just speaks for itself). This is an area where portage
44 alternatives really could shine, funnily I don't see them picking this
45 up at all.
46
47 Well, at least the current state of multilib keeps me from installing to
48 much non-free software. I collect some GNU/karma points that way ;-).
49
50 Regards,
51 Thomas
55 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list