From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Kernel scheduler seems to be making mistakes
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 14:14:35
1 This is turning into a bad month :-(
2
3 I'm running BOINC clients on this box, and the kernel seems unable to
4 schedule them properly. I'm subscribed to several projects, so I should
5 have one on each CPU all the time, running at nice 19 and therefore mopping
6 up all available CPU cycles. That's how it used to run. But nowadays the
7 kernel scheduler insists on allocating both of them to the same CPU, thus
8 limiting them to 50% load. Occasionally it will start up correctly, but
9 only if I've started the BOINC client interactively rather than from a
10 startup script, but even if so it still reverts to its bad behaviour after
11 a while. I haven't been able so far to spot any particular influence that
12 might cause this reversion, and the time before it happens is apparently
13 random.
14
15 The box is a Supermicro H8DCE with 2 x Opteron 246 CPUs and 2 x 2GB RAM.
16 This board divides the DIMM slots into two banks of four, one bank next to
17 each CPU and associated with it. I've tried various kernels from 2.6.16-r13
18 to 2.6.21-r1. I've tried unsetting all the clever-looking optimisations in
19 the kernel, I've tried all three scheduling algorithms and I've tried
20 resetting the BIOS to "optimised" defaults. I've even tried a genkernel
21 kernel with default config, but that version couldn't see the root
22 disk /dev/sda for some reason, and of course it wouldn't boot.
23
24 It's also odd that CPU1 runs 5 - 6 C hotter than CPU0, whether loaded or
25 not.
26
27 Sometimes I suspect a problem with APIC or perhaps the IOMMU, re which I
28 have mostly default or conservative settings in the kernel. Has anyone here
29 some experience they could offer?
30
31 I've also been to the BOINC project sites and changed my preferences to the
32 most conservative I can find, but still I can't get proper allocation of
33 boinc clients to processors. I've tried the forums and got some useful
34 help, but not yet a solution.
35
36 This all started some time ago, about the time when I had to replace the
37 motherboard, but as I wasn't following it very closely at the time I
38 haven't been able to pinpoint the factor that caused the change in kernel
39 scheduling behaviour.
42 Rgds
43 Peter Humphrey
44 Linux Counter 5290, Aug 93