From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] OT, Ciaran sig quote, reference? Was: firefox 2 on amd64
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 08:10:09
1 "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> posted
2 200701030730.09830.bss03@××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Wed, 03 Jan
3 2007 07:30:02 -0600:
4
5 > --
6 > "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
7 > it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
8 > clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
9 > -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
10
11 This seems to be a popular quote around the Gentoo lists. I'd like to
12 know the context. I tried Googling it but only came up with several sig
13 hits, none of which included a reference. Would you happen to have a
14 reference to the original, or be able to point me to where I might find
15 it. (I haven't yet tried asking Ciaranm directly, tho the thought has
16 occurred to me.)
17
18 Of course, I'd also be interested in why you chose the quote. Is it a
19 quote in agreement, or disagreement, and why do you think that? However,
20 seeing the quote in its original context might help with that. (I had a
21 further paragraph of discussion but decided this list, let alone the
22 thread, wasn't the place for it.)
23
24 Feel free to mail disregard the list replies preferred and mail me
25 privately if you wish a more detailed response that is appropriate for the
26 list. (I don't believe a simple reference and perhaps a paragraph or two
27 reply would be inappropriate, but that's me...)
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
35 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list