From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: mount ext3 with ext4 driver
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 19:12:25
1 On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 21:01 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Martin Herrman wrote:
3 > > All,
4 > >
5 > > After reading this:
6 > >
7 > > http://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto#Converting_an_ext3_filesystem_to_ext4
8 > >
9 > > do you have any experience with mounting your ext3 filesystems using the
10 > > ext4 module? Is the performance improvement noticeable?
11 >
12 > There isn't because the existing files are still stored in the old
13 > format. Only new files will benefit.
14 >
15 > The only useful way to jump on ext4 is to rsync all the filesystem
16 > somewhere else, format as ext4 and then rsync back.
20 I copied important files (sqlite databases mostly) to get the benifits
21 for them. I don't currently have any place big enough to back up the
22 whole filesystem.
23
24 Daniel