From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: local.start conditional on soft-level
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:09:04
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 200702100947.41219.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Sat, 10 Feb
3 2007 09:47:41 +0000:
4
5 > I'd like my /etc/conf.d/local.start to distinguish between soft run-levels,
6 > so that "sensors -s" will be run in the default level but not in the no-x
7 > level I've defined for maintenance.
8
9 sensors -s? If that's lm_sensors, why aren't you running the lm_sensors
10 initscript instead of using local.start for it? It does a bit more
11 dependency checking and the like. Is it that you decided you didn't need
12 all that and just want the simple command, or were you not aware of the
13 initscript, or ???
14
15 > I recently found something that might do the trick, using (I think) a
16 > soft-level suffix to the conf.d/ file name, but now I can't find it. Would
17 > someone please tell me where it is?
18
19 Try RC_USE_CONFIG_PROFILE, comment starting on line 53, setting on line
20 60, of /etc/conf.d/rc (if you've kept the comments and all intact, line
21 numbering based on the baselayout-1.13.0_alpha12 file).
22
23 I'd suggest using the standard lm_sensors initscript, unless you have a
24 specific reason not to, just because it means system changes that might
25 otherwise break it are more likely to be fixed by the lm_sensors package
26 before you even start worrying about it, but then if desired use the
27 softlevel thing.
28
29 Here, however, I just use traditional (aka "hard", I suppose) initlevels,
30 setting up additional ones as needed. The only ones normally used by the
31 system are 0/halt, 1/single-user, 6/reboot (those three nearly universal
32 Unix), and at least one other "operational" level from those between 2 and
33 5. Gentoo normally uses 3/default and 2/nonet, thus leaving levels 4 and
34 5 free for local use. In addition, levels 7-9 are available on the
35 standard Linux sysvinit package, tho those aren't standard across all *ix
36 like the 0-6 levels are. Thus, there's plenty of additional levels to
37 choose and I simply switch between them as necessary using the standard
38 "init <number>" command, or just add the appropriate number on the command
39 line if booting directly to something other than my usual default as set
40 in /etc/inittab. I don't think I've ever used Gentoo's softlevel stuff,
41 as I've really had no need to do so. I'd have to read thru that section
42 in the handbook again to even know what or how to do with it. (And yes,
43 I'm aware I just treated a linguistic inequity as equal.)
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
51 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list