From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 17:10:25
1 Frank Peters wrote:
2 > On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 10:04:52 +0000 (UTC)
3 > Duncan<1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
7 >>> Stan Sander wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>
10 >>>> In addition to using grub-static, you will need to have the IA32
11 >>>> Emulation enabled in your kernel, else you won't be able to execute
12 >>>> grub at all. It's under file formats / Emulations in the menu.
13 >>>>
14 >> I think that's covered in the handbook, now, but posting's still good,
15 >> just in case it would have been overlooked. FWIW when I first switched to
16 >> no-multilib, before I did the 32-bit chroot thing, I tried turning off
17 >> that option in the kernel... and found I couldn't run... I think it was
18 >> lilo I was running at the time, properly, so it's definitely worth
19 >> remembering.
22 > Lilo doesn't need the kernel at all. I have IA32 turned off and I use
23 > lilo to boot. There is no problem.
24 >
25 > Unless there is some special requirement, most people probably use grub
26 > because of the "follow the leader" syndrome. Lilo is still quite effective
27 > and also quite simple. Fortunately, the Gentoo overlords have not removed
28 > lilo from the portage tree, but if they ever do, I will just compile it
29 > myself. Continuous change is not a law of the universe. Some methods
30 > never become obsolete (out of fashion perhaps, but fashion should never
31 > be the final guide).
32 >
33 > Frank Peters
37 No offense intended but I have used both lilo and grub. I used lilo
38 first and for me, it was a nightmare. Fixing even a small typo was
39 painful for me. I switched to grub and the difference was like flying
40 the space shuttle or riding a tri-cycle. Let's remove the computers
41 from the space shuttle just to make it as difficult.
42
43 I may have to use lilo one day but grub will be long dead and will not
44 compile on any rig I have.
45
46 Dale
47