From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 17:10:25
Frank Peters wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 10:04:52 +0000 (UTC) > Duncan<1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote: > > >> >>> Stan Sander wrote: >>> >> >>>> In addition to using grub-static, you will need to have the IA32 >>>> Emulation enabled in your kernel, else you won't be able to execute >>>> grub at all. It's under file formats / Emulations in the menu. >>>> >> I think that's covered in the handbook, now, but posting's still good, >> just in case it would have been overlooked. FWIW when I first switched to >> no-multilib, before I did the 32-bit chroot thing, I tried turning off >> that option in the kernel... and found I couldn't run... I think it was >> lilo I was running at the time, properly, so it's definitely worth >> remembering. >> >> > Lilo doesn't need the kernel at all. I have IA32 turned off and I use > lilo to boot. There is no problem. > > Unless there is some special requirement, most people probably use grub > because of the "follow the leader" syndrome. Lilo is still quite effective > and also quite simple. Fortunately, the Gentoo overlords have not removed > lilo from the portage tree, but if they ever do, I will just compile it > myself. Continuous change is not a law of the universe. Some methods > never become obsolete (out of fashion perhaps, but fashion should never > be the final guide). > > Frank Peters > >
No offense intended but I have used both lilo and grub. I used lilo first and for me, it was a nightmare. Fixing even a small typo was painful for me. I switched to grub and the difference was like flying the space shuttle or riding a tri-cycle. Let's remove the computers from the space shuttle just to make it as difficult. I may have to use lilo one day but grub will be long dead and will not compile on any rig I have. Dale :-) :-)