From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Wine on AMD64?
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 18:41:56
1 Hi,
2 I got interested in looking at Wine again this week. Netflix has
3 changed their over the net policies for watching movies, changing it
4 for a specific number of hours per month to an unlimited service. I
5 haven't used the service much in the past (watched maybe 40 hours over
6 the last year) because it required me to both go into Windows AND use
7 Internet Explorer instead of Firefox. With an unlimited watching
8 policy it now becomes far more interesting to me if it could work in
9 Linux.
10
11 With a lot of forum threads about how much better Wine has gotten
12 on games I thought I'd give it a try. I emerged the newest stable
13 version of Wine, downloaded Internet Explorer 7.0 and tried to get it
14 started. The immediate result was Wine failed to install IE7. I looked
15 around the WineHQ site but didn't find much specific on Wine in a
16 64-bit environment so I'm wondering if many people here are using it
17 that way and what the tricks are these days to actually getting
18 something to work AND work well?
19
20 Even if IE7 works then I'll have to see if the NetFlix integrated
21 player works. I suspect it won't but I'm taking this one step at a
22 time.
23
24 Thanks,
25 Mark