From: Rudmer van Dijk <rudmer.van.dijk@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Watch out for dhcpcd-2.0.4
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 14:49:17
On Sunday 09 April 2006 15:05, Duncan wrote:
> > I synced this morning and amongst the updates was dhcpcd-2.0.4 > > just now I rebooted my machine and I couldn't get an ip-address from my > > cable-modem... reverting to dhcpcd-2.0.3 solved my problem. > > > > I re-emerged dhcpcd-2.0.4 before reverting to the previous version and I > > couldn't see any compile errors... > > What version of baselayout are you running? Are you on ~arch there also, > and have baselayout-1.12.0_pre17 (or better, I haven't synced today)?
I'm running ~amd64: Portage 2.1_pre7-r5 System uname: 2.6.17-rc1-mm2 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ Gentoo Base System version 1.12.0_pre17 Udev: sys-fs/udev-089-r2
> From the baselayout changelog: > > *baselayout-1.12.0_pre17 (07 Apr 2006) > > 07 Apr 2006; Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o> > +baselayout-1.12.0_pre17.ebuild: > New release - load of changes! Quick summary. > resolv.conf management punted to resolvconf-gentoo > net modules helpers.d punted > - means you'll probably need ~ARCH of your dhcp client > udev coldplug support. > > BTW, that means you should probably be running an updated udev as well, > particularly if you run coldplug, as it's integrated in udev now (and > consequently blocks the separate package coldplug).
I'm not using coldplug
> Be sure you've etc-updated everything, too, as between the three updates, > there are enough changes to break your system in a variety of ways, if you > haven't updated the config to work with the new packages. There /are/ > quite a few changes, and some of them change the files in /etc enough that > failing to do appropriately merge the changes /will/ break things!
I always etc-update my system after emerging and especially _before_ rebooting. (you forget it once, then you know which bad things can happen...)
> As for dhcpcd itself, I too have it merged, but don't use it under normal > circumstances, as I run a static IP behind a rather old router. The > dhcpcd and a few other packages are there only as backup, in the hopefully > unlikely event I have to go back to dialup on short enough notice I don't > have time to grab the sources and merge them before I lose broadband, or > in case the router gives up the ghost and I can't get a new one right away > for some reason.
after the sync of this morning I have installed portage-2.1_pre7-r5, man-pages-2.29, git-1.2.6 and somewhat later openoffice-bin-2.0.2. and the funny thing is, I tried dhcpcd-2.0.4 just now and it works... I get an ip-address also after a reboot. I did not change any files in /etc apart from /etc/portage/package.mask to remove =net-misc/dhcpcd-2.0.4. so problem solved, but I'm still curious as to what changed so that it works now... Rudmer -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list