From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: CD drive opening on boot!!
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 23:01:17
1 On 12/24/2009 9:07 AM, Duncan wrote:
2 > Lie Ryan posted on Thu, 24 Dec 2009 08:08:48 +1100 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> IMO Gentoo's edge was not about having the most cutting edge software
5 >> (pun not intended), but rather "having a choice". With Gentoo, you get
6 >> to choose which USE-flag to (not) include; you got to choose the kernel
7 >> options and also to use genkernel; then you've got a choice to run a
8 >> antiquated, full-stable, half-stable, ~arch, or overlay; you are free to
9 >> choose how antiquated or cutting edge you want your system to be. And
10 >> Gentoo's portage makes living the picky eater's life much easier than if
11 >> you have to compile packages and its dependencies manually to separate
12 >> the vegetables (or meats if you're a vegetarian; or pork if you're a
13 >> Muslim; or cows if you're a Hindi; or whatever taboo or personal
14 >> distrust you have).
15 >
16 > You're right about the choice, of course, but... well, the whole kde3
17 > thing has nicely illustrated the issues stable gentooers have.
18 >
19 > To this day I'd not call kde4 ready for stable yet, and CERTAINLY not as
20 > stable and usable as kde-3.5.10. 4.4 should be getting close, I expect
21 > it'll be like a release candidate traditionally is, it could be stable if
22 > it had to be, but there's a few more bugs they want to kill before it's
23 > fully released. 4.3 is late beta, 4.2 was early beta, a LOT of SERIOUS
24 > bugs still hanging around, 4.1 was post-freeze alpha, and 4.0... was very
25 > early technology demo, mostly prototype, from a user perspective.
26
27 well, I usually used GNOME, so I more-or-less missed the KDE chaos
28 (though I heard them often).
29
30 > That's not the sort of thing stable users enjoy, for sure. Really,
31 > neither do they tend to enjoy the constant updates Gentoo has, changing
32 > their work environment out from under them. Good Gentooers soon learn
33 > that if they're updating less than once a month, the updates DO pile up,
34 > and the process DOES get rough. By three months, an upgrade gets
35 > difficult and stressfull, by six months, it's getting easier to start
36 > from a brand new stage-3, by a year, which is what Gentoo /does/ /try/ to
37 > support, a brand new stage-3 is generally going to be much easier than
38 > the exotic bugs you'll get trying to update in place. Yet stable users
39 > normally /want/ their stuff stable for a year or more, and expect no
40 > serious problems on update within their release slot, even a year or more
41 > out. The all-at-one-time release upgrade, OTOH, is assumed to be the
42 > normal case. Meanwhile, gentoo support for stale packages disappears
43 > rather soon, relatively, and users are forced into either not updating
44 > any more (no security updates) or upgrading. The enterprise/LTS
45 > distribution releases at least have a support timeclock that people can
46 > schedule their computing life around.
47
48 On that point, I'd agree with you. Gentoo users have either the choice of:
49 1) keeping up with the rolling update every day, either the rolling
50 stable or ~arch tree or a mix
51 2) update every 2-3 years from stage 3
52
53 but you can't update every 6-months or so with Gentoo; not smoothly
54 enough. That's one thing missing from Gentoo's choice; don't know if
55 anyone misses it though. Most fully stable users are in server
56 environment and would go to choice #1 while most desktop/laptop users
57 would use their computer everyday to keep up with daily updates. That
58 sort of implies people that only uses their computer occasionally (once
59 or twice a month?) is not suitable for Gentoo. Those kind of users
60 aren't really Gentoo's target users, so I doubt there is a significant
61 portion of people that fell into this third category.
62
63 > As I mentioned above, it took the kde3/4 fiasco to really open my eyes to
64 > this, but open them it most certainly did! Generally speaking,
65 > enterprise and debian stable are the only ones supporting kde3 still,
66 > even tho kde4 isn't yet ready to fill its shoes for production machines.
67 >
68 >> For me, I run a mostly stable system and unmasks a few packages that I
69 >> used most frequently since those are the software that I have the time
70 >> to test thoroughly since I work with them all the time. I've been
71 >> running a python 3 overlay (very unstable at that time), but I'm not
72 >> willing to run a full ~arch since most of those software I don't use
73 >> often enough anyway.
74 >
75 > Of course, that's where Gentoo excels. It gives you the choice and
76 > ability to do just that, even if it's not that well supported. But in
77 > fact, because it's so easy
78
79 Put that *because it's so easy* in bold; gentoo's portage makes such
80 setup easy, your "choice" is never limited by tools that is hard-coded
81 to makes such setup difficult to manage.
82
83 > and so necessary for stable users at times,
84 > there's /enough/ people doing it, that it generally works out
85 > /reasonably/ well.
86
87 that's why I love the easy part.