From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Can anyone help please - CD error
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 18:00:43
1 On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 7:40 AM, Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > <snip>
3 > Thank you to Duncan, Sean, BRM & Stan for your help.
4 > I guess I'll just have to wait for the next version of kde.
5 >
6 > Did you have any thoughts on why alsa player will not start, could it be the
7 > same problem?
8 > Anyway thanks again
9 > Paul
10
11 Paul,
12 I'm late to the discussion. My apologies.
13
14 If you have time and still have interest then try opening a
15 terminal and doing the following as root:
16
17 1) Remove all CD and do the following:
20 MacMini # cdda2wav
21 No target specified, trying to find one...
22 Using dev=1000,1,0.
23 Type: ROM, Vendor 'MATSHITA' Model 'DVD-R UJ-845 ' Revision 'D8PB' MMC+CDDA
24 load cdrom please and press enter
25
26 If the device it found is reasonable then note the numbers. If it
27 finds no device that's something completely different.
28
29 2) Assuming it found a device then do the following commands:
30
31 cd
32 mkdir test1
33 cd test1
34 cdda2wav dev=1000,1,0 -vall -B -Owav -paranoia -speed=6
35
36 Paranoia is optional but I'd suggest keeping it as it checks for
37 things that would effect copying and playing a CD perfectly. Speed=6
38 is slow but is what I use for copies on this specific machine. I find
39 that different drives work far better when run slowly.
40
41 If the process works it will copy the audio CD to wave files in this
42 directory. If there are problems then post the results back to the
43 list and we'll attempt to deal with them. I will say that nearly all
44 of my drives have required at one time or another firmware upgrades.
45 Once we know what's in your machine and whether you have Windows or OS
46 X on the machine then we can determine if you can even do a firmware
47 upgrade.
48
49 Hope this helps,
50 Mark