From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: kdm-4.10.5-r1 - 2+ minute login delay
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 05:17:21
1 Mark Knecht posted on Sun, 04 Aug 2013 16:46:22 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > From previous concersations I assume a lot of folks here use KDE. I
4 > run mostly stable and just updated to kde-4.10.5 which included an
5 > update to kdm. It now seems that I'm plagued by a more than 2 minute
6 > delay from entering my password until KDE flashes up the box showing
7 > that KDE is starting up. Once KDE is up and running everything seems
8 > normal. There are no messages in /dev/log/message that identify any
9 > problems. Just a 2+ minute delay before much of anything occurs.
10 >
11 > Here's a small snippet of message showing the basic delay:
12
13 [Snip log showing, indeed, a two minute delay...]
14
15 > I Googled around for a while and got curious about whether this was
16 > really a KDE problem so I emerged xfce4. It has the same 2 minute issue
17 > so this appears to me more of a kdm issue as best I can tell right now.
18 >
19 > It's not anything obvious (to me) with networking delays as I can
20 > sit in the console and ping web sites. No delays there. I got back to
21 > the GUI and it's just waiting. I ran iotop in a console and there's
22 > nothing going on. The machine is just hung for a couple of minutes.
23 >
24 > This just started in the last couple of days with this month's KDE
25 > release.
26
27 While I run kde, I don't run a *dm, preferring to login at the text
28 console and run startx with XSESSION pointed at kde. Additionally, I
29 have USE=-policykit and USE=-consolekit (policykit was showing up in the
30 log before the delay) set and don't have either one even on my system at
31 all. Similarly USE=-udisks and USE=-upower (those showed up after the
32 delay), so I don't have those to worry about either. So I have no direct
33 help for you from that angle.
34
35 However, what you report sounds very much like a timeout problem,
36 something expected to already be running not being there, especially
37 since both xfce and kde have the same two-minute delay and there's no I/O
38 activity going on.
39
40 You mentioned running iotop in a text console and it showing no i/o to
41 speak of. What about CPU activity as shown by regular top/htop , and/or
42 load as shown by uptime? If it's a timeout issue as I expect, that won't
43 show any significant activity either.
44
45 What I think is happening is that the system's waiting for a response,
46 doing nothing but waiting for two minutes, until some timeout, after
47 which it gives up and either starts it on its own or does without,
48 depending on what it is that's missing.
49
50 I don't know for sure what that might be, but I'd suggest checking to see
51 if you have a system dbus running (dbus initscript), and if not, start
52 that before you try a kde/xfce login, and see if your delay disappears.
53
54 Another thing to check, since upower was the first thing logged after the
55 delay, is your power profiles, and/or especially if you're on a
56 wall-powered machine anyway, try setting USE=-upower and doing an
57 emerge --newuse @world, and see if that helps. (It's quite possible that
58 upower/powerdevil are entirely innocent and have nothing to do with the
59 problem; that it just happens that they're the first thing logged after
60 the timeout, but it never hurts to check that, just to be sure.)
63 When you do figure out the problem, please post what it was, as I'm
64 curious, now.
69 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman