From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] upgrading from 2005.0 x86, to 2006.0 amd64
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:53:19
1 Hey,
2
3 I've just upgraded one of my boxes from a P4 to an X2, and now wish to move to
4 a proper 64bit profile. I'm no newbie, having been using gentoo for some 4
5 years, nor am I especially new to the 64bit world.
6 I'm not willing to re-install, that's just lazy :)
7
8 At the moment it's happily running a 32bit kernel, with 32bit userland.
9 >From my experimentation last night, I suspect I will need to boot an amd64
10 livecd to compile a proper 64bit kernel, which will enable me to compile a
11 64bit toolchain.
12 Could not compile a 64bit kernel, or a multilib gcc, from the 32bit kernel.
13 I was hoping to use the 2004.3 to 2005.0 upgrade script in the 2005.0 profile,
14 but someone removed the 2004.3 profile :) Not that the process is especially
15 difficult.
16
17 Can someone confirm a rough outline of the steps involved in this migration
18 please?
19
20 Thanks
23 Mike Williams