From: Antoine Martin <antoine@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] SATA mdraid woes
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:27:11
1 On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 18:06 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > A few weeks ago I had a hardware problem, and the upshot is that I now have
3 > a new motherboard, a SuperMicro H8DCE. I now can't boot my Gentoo system.
4 I had a similar problem resulting from a similar upgrade.
5 It was because of the order of the drives, which was different in the
6 BIOS (as seen by grub) and the Linux kernel.
7 mdadm should not care and it should be able to re-assemble the array no
8 matter what the partitions are named (sdc|d instead of sda|b in my case)
9 Some of the arrays were out of sync (I had mounted one of the raid-1
10 partitions separately for making a backup, etc) - booting using knoppix
11 (or using a simple recovery ramdisk) allowed me to re-assemble them.
12 Reboot, done.
13 It can be useful to keep a ~200MB partition to install something small
14 like Slackware/Busybox for emergencies, this would allow you to boot on
15 a single drive and see what the kernel and mdadm tools make of your
16 array.
17 Hope this helps!
18
19 Antoine