From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Compiler Flag -m64 Gives Warning
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:18:08
1 On Friday 24 April 2009 14:06:15 Frank Peters wrote:
2 > Hello everyone,
3 >
4 > I just switched to Gentoo from another distribution and my
5 > only regret is that I did not make the switch much earlier.
6 > Gentoo is a fantastic way of managing Linux and I am grateful
7 > to all those who have made it possible.
8 >
9 > However, as I continue to build my current Linux x64 (amd64)
10 > system with emerge, there is one minor annoyance that I can't
11 > eliminate. During each emerge there is a warning message:
12 >
13 > * Your CFLAGS contains "-m64" which can break packages.
14 > * Your CXXFLAGS contains "-m64" which can break packages.
15 >
16 > My system is no-multilib; it is a pure 64-bit system. The
17 > "-m64" compiler flag will not, and does not, adversely affect
18 > the system in any way.
19 >
20 > As I mentioned, this warning is merely an annoyance, but it
21 > does slow down the emerge process for several seconds as
22 > the program pauses to give sufficient time for the warning
23 > message to be read. If a large number of packages is being
24 > emerged, this can add up to a lot of time.
25 >
26 > Is there some way I can eliminate this warning without removing
27 > the "-m64" option?
28 >
29 > Frank Peters
30 Hello and welcome :)
31
32 Why are you using -m64 directly on your CFLAGS ( on /etc/make.conf )
33
34 Did you take a look on the following documentation?
35
36 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml#cflags
37 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Safe_Cflags
40 Markos Chandras (hwoarang)