From: Sebastian Redl <sebastian.redl@×××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Troubleshooting XComposite
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 19:10:33
1 Hi,
2
3 When my hard-disk made suspicious noises recently, I decided to replace
4 it - be safe rather than sorry - and use the opportunity to do a
5 complete, fresh install of my system. The new system is up and running
6 (OpenOffice troubles aside), with the added advantage that I finally
7 managed to get to the most recent ATI binary driver version instead of
8 that stone-age version that happened to not hang my system under the old
9 setup.
10
11 With the new driver, I want to use its AIGLX capabilities. However, I'm
12 having trouble getting XComposite to work. I have it enabled in xorg.conf:
13
14 Section "Extensions"
15 Option "Composite" "Enable"
16 EndSection
17
18 Xorg.0.log agrees:
19
20 $ grep -i composite /var/log/Xorg.0.log
21 (**) Extension "Composite" is enabled
22 (II) fglrx(0): Sync: Separate Composite SyncOnGreen
23 (II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
24
25 I've got direct rendering and the RENDER extension:
26
27 (II) fglrx(0): Direct rendering enabled
28 (II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
29
30 And the damage protocol:
31
32 (II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
35 Unfortunately, xdpyinfo disagrees:
36
37 $ xdpyinfo | grep -i composite
38 $
39
40 And so does KDE4 (System Settings, Desktop, Desktop Effects), telling me
41 that compositing is not supported on my system, and that XDamage and
42 XComposite are not available.
45 I can't find any information on troubleshooting the problem. Can you
46 help me out?
47
48 Full xorg.conf is attached. I've enabled the xcomposite use flag and
49 done the Paludis equivalent of emerge -N world.
50
51 Sebastian

xorg.conf text/plain