From: "P.V.Anthony" <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Page size on the kernel
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 06:19:56
1 Hi,
2
3 Just completed the install from stage 1. Truly a great learning experience. Plus
4 it was made easy by all those great packages in the emerge.
5
6 The system is to be used as a nfs server for video editing editing systems.
7 There are only two client computers are Apple Macintosh. So throughput speed is
8 very important. The current system is as follows,
9
10 1. cpu - AMD Athlon 64 3000
11 2. motherboard - MSI Neo4 Platinum
12 3. memory - 2 channel 2G(total)
13 4. Raid 5 Card - Promise EX8350
14 5. Data Hard Drive - Maxtor SATA drive 300G x 8,
15 - 4 drives makes one raid 5 logical drive
16 6. OS drive - 2 Maxtor PATA 80G as software raid 1
17 7. Two on board Gigabit Ethernet
18 8. OS - Gentoo for AMD64
19 9. File System for Data drive - XFS
20 10. File System for OS drive - ext3
21 11. File share protocol - NFS
22
23 The two client Macs are connected by cross cable Ethernet.
24
25 Here are my questions.
26
27 a. What is the page size of the kernel? Can I increase the page size? What would
28 be a good size? The files I am using are all video files and they are large. As
29 an example, good quality video files are 1100mb per minute and DV video files
30 are 200mb per minute.
31
32 Is there any other setting that I can set for improved throughput?
33
34 b. What would a good raid 5 stripe size be? I have set it at 64k because XFS
35 maximum block size is only 64k. Does this have any correlation at all?
36
37 c. What should the block size be for the XFS file system? When I set the block
38 size to 64k it just cannot be mounted. What am I doing wrong?
39
40 Once this is settled, I will have to find out what is a good setting for for
41 NFS. I plan to set the ethernet MTU to 9000. I heard that it is called jumbo
42 frames and it is faster.
43
44 Please do comment and help. Or point me in the right direction.
45
46 Thanks in advance.
47
48 P.V.Anthony