From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo-AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:17:27
Is this gentoo-amd64 list active?  Or should I post my amd64 related
message to gentoo-user?

I am having trouble getting Alsa sound to work on with my built-in
audio.  The details are below:

00:10.2 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 AC97
Audio Controller (rev a2) Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Unknown
device 0850 Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 209
        I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
        I/O ports at d400 [size=256]
        Memory at febdc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

I did try the NVidia NForce drivers and the nvsound module loaded and
and nvmier show a volume setting.  However it looks like the NVidia
driver is OSS only and doesn't use Alsa.  I have compiled everything
for Alsa only so I have no sound.

The sound card is AC97 so it should be supported, I am thinking that
just the ID is not listed in the code or some PCI database.

The motherboard is an ASRock 939NF4G-SATA2.  The spec say the audio chipset is "Realtek ALC850"