From: Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] mount ext3 with ext4 driver
Date: Sat, 02 May 2009 17:52:06
1 Martin Herrman wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > After reading this:
5 >
6 > http://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto#Converting_an_ext3_filesystem_to_ext4
7 >
8 > do you have any experience with mounting your ext3 filesystems using
9 > the ext4 module? Is the performance improvement noticeable?
10 I haven't tried it directly, but I remember forgetting to compile-in
11 ext2 support and then being unable to mount /boot (ext2) despite having
12 ext4 support
16 > And how about using the extra options:
17 >
18 > |# tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev//DEV
19 > /|
20
21 I use all those, except uninit_bg without a problem.
22 In fact, I use dir_index,filetypes,sparse_super,acl,user_xattr without a
23 problem.
24
25 But I have noticed that sometimes some mount options in /etc/fstab can
26 prevent mounting or cause an error and mount "/" in ro mode, not always
27 the same. I have noticed that I can mount ordinary partition with one
28 option combination but fail when mounting /dev/md2 in precisely same
29 way. Basic "noatime" works always,though.
30
31 > |/
32 > /|?
33 >
34 > How stable do you think that the ext4 module actually is? (using
35 > recent kernels, e.g. 2.6.29)
36 >
37 I had many problems ( files dissapearing after reboot, other files
38 getting strange content etc), but after ext4 problems were published
39 about and corresponding pathes in kernel everything works fine for me. I
40 haven't had a single issue after that, and I'm using it on two lightly
41 loaded servers and my workstation.