From: Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] boot Gentoo from USB key
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:55:55
1 Jason wrote:
2 > ons won't be out of sync then. Gentoo has genkernel for this purpose.
3 >
4 >> Also, opened files and extra nodes in /dev during intiramfs phase
5 >> tend to cause a headache or two...
6 >
7 > If your initrd follows the 3 suggestions, above, there won't be any
8 > processes running to hold a file or device open. Unless you had
9 > something else in mind?
10 >
11 > Jason.
15 I ahve used initrd for booting from LVM2 partition in the past and have
16 always had headaches with this sort of thing- and I believe exactly this
17 was covered in some article on gentoo.org
18
19 Point is that you need to run some programs to do some things ( why else
20 have initramfs ?) before system becomes really useable for the user and
21 you can't always control all aspects of programs that you have ran. Some
22 might spawn some daemon with opened files or at least devices etc etc. I
23 have mounted XFS on one machine and because of this two daemons run on
24 my machine etc.
25
26 Also, if you need autodetection and device for some PnP hardware ( USB,
27 1394 etc ) you need udev and hotplug system to generate enw devices in
28 dev and then recreate them in /new_root/dev.
29 And if some daemon has continually opened something in /dev, after
30 chroot/pivot_root your initrd might still occupy your memory. AFAIK
31 initramfs should eb way better with this, but any user data about it is
32 very scarce on the net...
33 --
34 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list