From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] apple laptop
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:50:34
1 On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 14:28 +0000, Gavin Seddon wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I have my eye on a apple laptop. It is 400Mhz. Will this run Gentoo
4 > and setup on a wireless lan? What will be will it be 64 bit, that is
5 > are they quite fast. It's only for working while I watch tv in the
6 > evening. Would it be worth it. 15" tft 300ram. ~300 quid.
7
8 There's no particular reason why it wouldn't run gentoo, as Linux has
9 supported EFI for a while now. However, I don't know that anyone has
10 ever tried it.
11
12 I don't know about wireless, because I don't know what wifi they use.
13 I'm assuming it's the centrino wireless (ipw2xxx), which is well
14 supported in Linux, and should work. If it's the broadcom wireless
15 (bcm43xx) that Apple uses in the their PPC macs, then there is a driver
16 under development for it, but it won't work out of the box.
17
18 Mac Book Pros are not 64-bit, so 64-bit gentoo will not work.
19 --
20 Daniel Gryniewicz
21 Gentoo AMD64 Team / Gentoo Gnome Herd / AMD64 Operational AT Lead