From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Bug in Cooledit-3.17.17 - Patch Included
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 16:45:53
1 On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 04:14:52 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 > I'd suggest going ahead and filing that bug and patch with Gentoo's
6 > bugzilla, particularly since you have a patch ready. Well, first do a
7 > search and see if there's already a bug filed on it that you can add the
8 > patch to.
11 I created a bug report, or actually two reports, #267536 and #267567, dealing
12 with cooledit-3.17.17. However, the issue has already been referred to the
13 "maintainer-needed" catagory, and I will assume that this means no action will
14 be taken on the issue because of the lack of a maintainer.
15
16 Well, anyway, I believe that I have the problem solved. For anyone who desires
17 to use cooledit, which is a fine and versatile text editor, a manual compilation
18 will be necessary. First apply the patch that I supplied with my original
19 post. Also apply the three other patches that are already in the portage tree.
20
21 A second step is also needed. After running ./configure, a file named config.h
22 is created in the root of the source tree. Edit this file and delete the line
23 that contains the definition: "#define HAVE_PYTHON 1." Cooledit is somehow not
24 compatible with recent versions of python and eliminating any python binding will
25 create a trouble-free cooledit.
26
27 If anyone knows how to patch the configure process, please inform how this
28 can be done.
29
30 Cooledit uses python as an extension language for custom scripting, but the
31 removal of python will not affect any of the ordinary editing capabilities.
32
33 It seems that all the crashes can be eliminated by following these two steps.
34 So far I haven't had any difficulty and hope the problem is now solved completely.
35
36 Frank Peters