From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Please suggest settings and flags in /etc/make.conf?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:50:57
1 Lie Ryan posted on Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:05:55 +1100 as excerpted:
2
3 > The FEATURES variable can set some useful optional portage features.
4 > Look at "man make.conf" for valid options. Some options can speed up
5 > compiling, others may increase security. Some of the most useful
6 > FEATURES:
7
8 > ccache: you'll need to emerge dev-utils/ccache and tune the
9 > CCACHE_SIZE
10
11 > parallel-fetch: the name describes best
12
13 > test: runs "make check" for packages that have them and fail the
14 > install when the test don't pass. Be aware that quite a lot of package
15 > is shipped with failed tests. You may want to add "--keep-going"
16 > when emerging a large number of packages.
17
18 Also be aware that a number of packages are known to take a **LONG** time
19 to do their tests -- several times the length of the actual compile.
20 mysql is I believe the most (in)famous of these, with tests taking
21 something like an entire day. Similarly, some packages have additional
22 (uncommon) dependencies that are /only/ brought in for the tests --
23 effectively you're installing extra packages /just/ for the tests.
24
25 Finally and perhaps most importantly, for at least one package (udev),
26 enabling test has security implications -- the tests require an insecure
27 build that upstream warns NOT to install in production environments, the
28 tests are designed for development use only.
29
30 Thus, FEATURES=test is definitely one feature that should be considered
31 well before enabling. Yes, it does make your installation more robust in
32 general, but there are implications that should be considered as well,
33 and particular applications for which you will probably want the feature
34 disabled. (This can be accomplished using an appropriate /etc/portage/
35 bashrc, setting FEATURES=-test conditional on the specific exception
36 package.)
37
38 > userfetch, usersandbox, usersync: these may add a little bit of
39 > security.
40
41 > See "man make.conf" for more options
42
43 My favorite is FEATURES=buildpkg, or if you're space-constrained,
44 FEATURES=buildsyspkg. If either/both of these are enabled, also consider
45 FEATURES=fixpackages, and set the PKGDIR variable as appropriate, also.
46
47 This has saved me many an unnecessary recompile over the years, when some
48 update went wrong, and I was able to simply emerge --usepkgeonly the
49 previous version. As the binpkgs are simply tarballs with some
50 additional metadata tacked on the end, they can be browsed/opened with
51 your favorite archiver as well, thus enabling troubleshooting such as
52 quick checks of what a particular config file looked like by default, or
53 simply browsing a particular package's as-shipped filesystem. They also
54 come in handy when, for instance, gcc is borked so you can't use it to
55 rebuild gcc (just emerge --usepkgonly the binpkg), or portage or python
56 is borked so you can't emerge at all (just untar a working version over
57 top the live filesystem -- but be sure you have backups of the config
58 files it includes, first).
59
60 Meanwhile, it's also worth considering LDFLAGS. Here's mine:
61
62 LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,now,--as-needed,-O1,--hash-style=gnu,--sort-common"
63
64 The -Wl bit is the gcc prefix, telling it that the rest of the LDFLAGS
65 are for the linker.
66
67 -z,now tells the linker to resolve all links at load, instead of "lazy
68 resolution", waiting until functions are needed in some cases to resolve
69 them. This one's purely personal preference, and will at times slightly
70 increase application start times, but if there's going to be a problem,
71 I'd rather it happen when an app is starting, instead of crashing later,
72 after I have unsaved work. There are very rare circular library
73 dependency issues with this as well. (A library loads functions from
74 another library, which needs functions from the first.) One example was
75 xf86-video-ati, but that one has long had a check in the ebuild that
76 disables the flag, if it's found. I've not had issues running with this
77 for some time, now.
78
79 --as-needed is the one most folks will be interested in. There's talk of
80 eventually making this the Gentoo default, as it can DRAMATICALLY reduce
81 the number of reverse dependency breakage of the sort revdep-rebuild
82 fixes. I'm talking an order of magnitude reduction, having to rebuild
83 maybe 1/10 of the packages that would have to be rebuilt without it.
84 Problems with this one should now be quite rare indeed, because many
85 people run with this LDFLAG, and Flameeyes (Diego P) actively tests
86 packages for breakage with it on his tinderbox, filing bugs and helping
87 devs patch where needed. Given the major benefits in reduced revdep
88 breakage and relatively low risk, I'd DEFINITELY recommend this one.
89 (FWIW, if you want JUST this one: LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" .)
90
91 -O1 is linker optimization, similar to gcc's -O flags, only there's just
92 the one level. I /think/ this might be the gentoo default, but am not
93 sure.
94
95 --hash-style=gnu tells the linker to use GNU style function-lookup
96 hashing. There's another style available also (IDR the name ATM), and
97 "both" can also be used. The Gentoo default, AFAIK is "both", altho
98 there has been some discussion of switching that to "gnu", as there's
99 little reason to include both unless you're compiling for use on other
100 than Gentoo GNU/Linux (IOW, using prefix for the BSDs, or something).
101
102 --sort-common is another slight look-up optimization, tho in typical use,
103 you'll not notice it. This has been discussed as a Gentoo default and in
104 fact, I think it is already, tho I'm not sure.
105
106 As mentioned above, --as-needed is the big one with real benefits and
107 little down side due to already active usage. The others, take or leave,
108 as you wish.
113 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman