From: Mark <whitetr6@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: emerge --emptytree problem
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:12:14
Thanks all. Well, sometime in the middle of the night, the build
failed again, this time on ldap, while trying to install samba. I
think what I'll do is scale the USE list wayyyy back.

As I'm reading more, and especially from the comments from those who
have responded here, I think my approach is wrong. The first time I
installed Gentoo, which was 2004.3, I used a USE list almost identical
to what's in the manual, because I had no idea what would work and
what wouldn't.

That gave me a pretty stable system, except some programs would grab
all of the CPU for a minute or two (e.g. PAN newsreader). Then one
night I did an emerge --update world, made the suggested updates with
etc-update, and rebooted. I no longer had a usable kde at that point.
So, not worrying about the few things I'd lose, I just started
rebuilding from scratch, which brings me to now.

I'm going to research some more and see how much I can learn about
setting these options before I try again.