From: Barry Schwartz <chemoelectric@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: USB Scanner Problems with Newer Kernels/Libusb
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 20:40:27
1 Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis:
2 > Of course I could always jump on the udev bandwagon, like most everyone
3 > else, but I still very much enjoy the ability to control, in a simple
4 > manner, the operation of my own system. I don't like the idea of another
5 > system daemon doing things without my knowledge or approval.
6
7 I don’t blame you, because it is quite a disaster, and is becoming all
8 rolled up in the attempt to turn ‘Linux’ from a kernel into a
9 ‘vertically integrated’ variant of MacOS. I’m actually using eudev,
10 myself, but, regardless, never know when an update will render things
11 like scanners non-working or at least give them incorrect access
12 controls.
13
14 I suppose it should be _possible_ to create the devices but would not
15 be surprised if the task is non-trivial. Which is very, very un-Unix,
16 and I think that really ought to be the end of it. I don’t mind fancy
17 stuff but do mind when it is done in an extremely un-Unixy fashion.