From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] USB Scanner Problems with Newer Kernels/Libusb
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 03:26:10
1 I do not make scans very often, but when I do my scanners work very well
2 with Linux and Sane -- or at least they used to.
3
4 Checking the file dates on my last scans I discover that I last used my
5 scanner during January of 2012. This was about the time of the release
6 of kernel 3.5. The significance of this is that with kernel 3.5 the usbfs
7 file system was eliminated.
8
9 Previously, libusb was used to read/write to the scanner from user space.
10 Libusb is still used by Sane but since usbfs has been eliminated it no longer
11 detects my scanner.
12
13 When I plug in the scanner the kernel log shows this message:
14
15 Kernel: usb 2-1.4: new full-speed USB device number 4 using ehci-pci
16
17 The kernel can detect the device, but the user-space libusb, and hence Sane,
18 cannot access the scanner.
19
20 In fact, sane-find-scanner, which should detect the scanner, fails with this
21 output:
22
23 # Could not initialize libusb-1.0, error -99
24 # Skipping libusb devices
25
26 From what I've manged to find through searches I believe that udev is used
27 to create devices "on the fly" when a scanner is detected. However, I've
28 never used udev before and never had problems with libusb detecting the scanner.
29 But since usbfs is gone I am now unable to scan due to a failure to detect
30 the scanner.
31
32 The utility usb-devices, which uses libusb, can produce data on the
33 scanner, but lsusb, which also uses libusb but depends on usbfs, fails.
34
35 Does anyone know to resolve such a problem? How can I get my scanner
36 to be utilized by libusb and sane?
37
38 Frank Peters